Sunday 10 May 2009

Straight-Jacket & Potatoes?

Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes. From left to right, Anya, Charlotte and Can't Remember (because I earthed up the label as well as the haulms (silly Wellie)! But as you can see, they're coming on okay, and the rest of the chitted ones of the same varieties are simply begging me to plant them. I've purposely delayed their planting in order to stagger the harvest, so we get that yummy 'just dug noo potato taste' every time.

It needs no explanation as to why I took this next picture, does it? And if you were standing next to me, I dare you not to fall over backwards with the intoxicating perfume of it. I did.....
(oh no, that was Pinot Grigio me thinks!)

And meet 'Moneypenny' - my noo Truck. I've named her that because the wording on the spare wheel cover on the back says: 4x4xBond. Trousers nearly wet himself when I told him. He thought it 'very clever', so I feel suitably patted on the head, as you can imagine.....




In The Back Yard today, there's been all manner of stuff going on. I had serious plans of spraying Roundup Concentrate in selected areas, but my Gardening Cat wouldn't go back to bed, insisting on being with me up until 4 o'clock this afternoon, and I eventually managed to do it by the time Trousers got home from work.

Still - it gave me some quality time with her, whilst I swotted up my favourite cookbooks to find out in advance what the hell to do with so many GooseGogs this year. Trousers isn't keen on them, so that's brilliant. I might have to invent a Gooseberry Smoothie?!



And then we come to the 'really what happened today' part of the Funny Farm Blog, because I potted-on my Gardeners' Delight, Tigarella and Ferline Cordon Tomato plants into their final pots (builders buckets from Homebase at £1 each).

And having done that, I was then able to introduce them to their spiral 'supports' - which work fabulously well, as all you do is wind the leading shoot round. So, no tedious tying - just pinching out of 'armpits' to keep the cordon nice and tidy, and concentrate its energies into the fruit trusses rather than a rambling chaos of bushy growth.



'Ferline F1' variety is blight-tolerant, so will eventually be grown outside, and being in a bucket with a handle is jolly useful for moving it inside and outside to get 'hardened off' between now and the beginning of June.
Now. For those of you who aren't 'keeping up' with the story of Wellie and Trousers having moved house recently, and our washing machine having died some months back.....
We've taken delivery of a noo washing machine this week, and I'm rather proud to announce to you, that there isn't one single item of dirty washing left.




Unfortunately, that means that there's a Bl@@dy Big Pile of Ironing though!
Guess what Wellie will MOSTLY be doing this week Children......
Thank you for watching, and I hope you're all receiving us loud'n'clear now since that very kind Hazel at the Hill saved Trousers's proverbial bacon last week by tweaking a few knobs and pushing the odd button or two. I'd of done it myself, but I only know how to turn the computer on at the wall?! So Bless You Angel. X.




No comments:

Post a Comment